Wednesday, December 22, 2010

sayonara, japan

So I've been home now for more than 24 hours, and it feels both very weird and very normal at the same time. It was sad for me to get on the airport tram and realize that the handles are once again too tall for me to use, unlike in Japan, where they are perfect. :( I'm also not used to seeing people drive on the right side of the road again, so I'll probably put off driving anywhere as long as possible. On the other hand, it is very good to be home and see my family/friends. :)

These past four months in Japan have really been an unforgettable experience. I've met so many amazing and unique people from all over the world, who I hope to stay in touch with, especially if I start globe-hopping and visit their respective countries! I had a fantastic experience in a home-stay (almost everybody else I knew in homestays always had something to complain about, but I never did), and I not only formed a strong relationship with my host mom, but also learned a lot about day-to-day Japanese culture and life. My Japanese has improved immensely (if I do say so myself), and I will definitely have to keep studying from here on out so I don't forget everything (especially what I learned in IJ600 about formal/academic Japanese). And of course, I think I've grown as a person - for example, I feel much more confident about traveling to strange places by myself; Japan has definitely honed my map-reading skills! Anyway, basically I had a wonderful time in Japan and can't wait to go back someday! :D

So to wrap up my Japan experience, here are a couple of lists.

Things I Will Miss About Japan*
*not including obvious and specific things like people and places, though naturally I will miss them the most

- speaking Japanese! Granted, I spent probably as much time in Japan speaking English as Japanese, but I will definitely miss being immersed in the language. 
- public transportation. I loved riding the bus and subway everywhere, especially using my commuter pass!
- TV. Japanese variety shows are the best! Also I really liked the kanji/quiz shows, too. As an added benefit, no matter what I watched, it counted as studying Japanese! I will also miss being able to watch TV on my electronic dictionary, because that was just cool. :D
- convenience stores. They are everywhere and actually really convenient, whether to buy onigiri for a snack or even to print out pictures! I loved wasting time in conbini (as they call them in Japanese).
- 100-yen shops! Loved shopping there, because there was always so much awesome stuff for so cheap.  The quality is so much better than dollar shops here, too.
- vending machines everywhere. I didn't use them that often, but it was still nice to have them available. Also, Japanese drinks are pretty tasty.
- karaoke. Definitely need more real karaoke places in the States! Basements and bars don't count.
- ready availability of Japanese cuisine. Particularly things like ramen, udon, and donburi.

My Japan Experience in Numbers
- Time spent: 3 months, 3 weeks, 4 days
- Pictures/videos taken: 1,410
- Cities visited: 6 (Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Gifu)
- Classes taken: 5
- Ferris wheels ridden: 3
- Shinkansen rides: 2
- Clubs/bars visited: 3 
- Karaoke nights: 3
- Onsen visited: 1
- Trips to Disneyland: 2
- Totoro towels bought: 2
- Mugs collected: 6
- Analog Fish CDs bought: 3
- Uniqlo bags found in my room when I packed: 7

So with that, sayonara Japan! Until we meet again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment