Sunday, October 14, 2012

mid-october!

It's been a little bit since I last posted, but that's because there just hasn't been very much to report! I think this week has been the first one since I got here that I haven't had any plans to do anything during the week (though admittedly this is probably because I skipped frisbee practice on Tuesday, haha). So it's been a pretty low-key week. Most of this weekend was spent Skyping with family and friends, which was pretty great. :)


Yesterday I decided to go explore the Chiba University campus, which is relatively close to my apartment. I didn't actually go inside any buildings (though at some point I might go check out their library, even though I don't think I could check anything out), but it seemed like a pretty nice place, though mostly buildings (no Carleton Bald Spot equivalent, sadly). The area around the campus is also a lot more interesting than the area around my apartment (which really doesn't have anything) - lots of little stores, cafes, etc - so I feel like I may end up wandering around there more often!

After that, I met up with some friends for dinner in the city, which was fun. We went to a place with conveyor belt sushi, which I have actually not ever had before, so that was pretty exciting. After that we went to a bar (the same one we went to before Chiba Orientation actually, with the same group of people in fact) and just chatted for a while before heading home.

Today I went to take a look at the Saiwaicho culture festival (Saiwaicho being the name of the place where I live), which was taking place at the community center outside my apartment complex. I got to take a look inside the little library there for the first time, which is only open until 5 on weekdays and which I haven't gone to on a weekend before, so that was cool. The culture festival was mostly exhibits of artwork from the children in local schools and works from local clubs, like the patchwork and knitting clubs, which was cool. There were also some performances happening, though I didn't actually stay to watch any. It was a nice little community event. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment