Monday, April 8, 2013

pre-okinawa

So as I mentioned last post, I'll be headed off to Ishigaki, Okinawa for a week starting on Tuesday (aka in two days)! I'm super excited and totally unprepared, but before leaving I figured I should post a quick update!

This week at work has been pretty uneventful, besides the whole adjusting-to-a-new-office thing. On Tuesday I went to see the movie Cloud Atlas with Cory, which was way better than I expected (probably because I had no expectations whatsoever) - they did some crazy cool stuff with makeup and effects, especially as an independent film. On Wednesday I went swing dancing again for the first time in like two months, which was super fun as usual.

 On Friday we had our welcome/farewell party for all the people leaving and coming into the section, which was a really good time, although one of the new people had to leave early to go to another party, which was a shame. It was really good to see everybody who switched out - hopefully we'll still see each other from time to time!

Then on Saturday I was supposed to go down to Kamogawa to see my friend Ella, but there was a forecast for a really big storm in the afternoon and I was worried about getting back so I just stayed home. Which I ended up regretting a little, but I spent the whole day in my pajamas and Skyping with my dad and some friends, so it wasn't a total loss! :)

This morning I went into my kimono classroom for a kimono hair and makeup trial and ended up buying a kimono! Or rather, the fabric to make one, since really kimonos are supposed to be custom-made. I wasn't planning on it, but I had put in a deposit before going to the kimono festival last weekend and I was able to use that for this fabric, and I figured it was probably worth getting my own kimono made instead of just getting a used one (which was my original plan). Still, I'm pretty happy with it and looking forward to getting it back in two months! Like I said, it isn't really a kimono yet (also I still have to buy an obi and other accessories to go with it), but here's what it looked like earlier today:



And then tonight I went out to dinner with another friend, whose friend was singing Okinawan music at an Okinawan restaurant! She was super talented, and I even got one of her CDs, which I'm looking forward to listening to. I didn't know anybody else there, but I had a good time getting to know them while tasting Okinawan food (in preparation for my trip, maybe). Perhaps it's a premonition of good times to come during my trip! :)

So after a day of work tomorrow, off I go on my first airplane trip within Japan! Definitely not packed yet and probably haven't thought about it as much as I should, but I am very excited for warm weather and beaches and meeting some other JETs! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment