Sunday, September 8, 2013

chiba three generations festival


 So this post is way overdue, but last month was Chiba City's 親子三代祭り (Oyako Sandai Matsuri), or the Three Generations Festival! I went to it for the first time last year shortly after arriving in Chiba City, so it was yet another full-circle moment that made me think about how things have (and haven't) changed from a year ago. One thing that didn't change: it was a lot of fun!




Last year I went early to help the CCIA set up and watch the youth exchange students carry a mikoshi (portable shrine) down the street, but this year I just spent a little time wandering around and seeing the festival in the afternoon by myself, which I didn't have a chance to do last year. Even though I think most people envision the countryside or smaller towns when they think of traditional festivals (I do, at least), I feel like none of the excitement or atmosphere was lost in the much more urban setting of downtown Chiba! There were still people everywhere, food stands everywhere, and even performances taking place all around.



After that I headed into the CCIA to have somebody help me put on my yukata (taking those kimono lessons clearly didn't help much, though I blame it on the fact that kimono and yukata obis are different) and start practicing the Chiba dance for the festival! Having danced it for roughly 2.5 solid hours last year, I had thought at the time that I'd remember the dance forever but alas, this was not the case. Luckily, it's actually pretty simple and it came back quickly.



And then it was time for the real thing! The way it works is that groups and organizations from around the city (though on-the-spot participation is also encouraged!) line up all around a certain route and follow it around the city, dancing the whole time! In the center of the streets are taiko groups from the city and all around the prefecture that drum while we dance. One of my favorite parts about participating is that you get to see the taiko performances up close while dancing!

By the end, we were all pretty tired and hot and sweaty, but it was still a lot of fun! I got to see the mayor dancing this year, which was a goal of mine since I had somehow missed it last year, not to mention lots of cute little kids doing some intense taiko drumming. Definitely a good time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment