Thursday, May 22, 2014

yosakoi yosakoi

So last month a joined a yosakoi dance team, and it's slowly but surely taking over my life really really fun! Yosakoi is a type of Japanese dance, and the style that my team is, yosakoi soran, only has two rules: that the dancers dance while holding naruko (clappers) and that the song includes lyrics from soran bushi, a famous traditional song. Other than that, anything goes, so yosakoi teams all have their own unique styles and interpretations.

The team I joined is called Chiyoren Hokutenkai, and I think it's one of the bigger and well-established teams in Chiba Prefecture (though since I've just joined I'm still learning about it). There are probably 50-60 active members of all ages, and it's super fun! Everybody has been very welcoming (apparently I've joined at a time when they manage to recruit lots of new people like college students) and I already wish I'd discovered them earlier!

Anyway, a couple of weekends ago I helped out as staff (since I hadn't learned the dance yet) at a yosakoi event called Yosakoi Kisarazu Buson, which took place for the 13th time this year and included over 30 teams and 1000 dancers! Yosakoi soran originally started in Hokkaido before spreading all over the country, so I think it's pretty cool that there are that many people who do it here in Chiba.



The event took place in Kisarazu, which I don't think I've been to before, but is apparently famous for tanuki (raccoon dogs), judging by the giant statue of one near the station. I was in charge of photography for the day, so I followed the team around during their performances, both on stage and in parade style. I didn't get to see that many performances of other teams, but I did see all of their introductions in the opening ceremony and admire their flags (yosakoi teams aren't just dancers but also include people who wave giant flags around in the background - it looks much cooler than that sounds, I promise).

Anyway, my team made it to the finals and eventually got 1st place, which means we got to take home a grand prize of 1000 packages of nori (dried seaweed). I didn't do anything to help them get there, but I did get to take some too. :D

I think there will be several more yosakoi events taking place in Chiba this summer (actually there's one this weekend but I'll have to miss it), and now that I've officially debuted and can dance with the team, I should be able to post some more exciting updates! Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment