Monday, July 30, 2012

tokyo orientation, day one

Today was the first day of Tokyo orientation, and boy, has it been a long day (though it's not over yet)! First off, even though I was exhausted when I went to bed at 10 last night, thanks to jet-lag I found myself waking up every two hours or so starting at 3am. At 6:30 I gave up and got up, even though our first thing wasn't until 9:00.

The day started off with a lot of speeches, followed by various workshops. I also met with the other people from my prefecture - they all seem really cool, which is good since I'll probably be seeing a lot them! I also go the fun surprise of finding out that I was assigned to be a Prefectural Advisor, which is not usually something that first-year JETs do. I'm a little nervous about it, since I'm supposed to be a resource for other JETs and I have absolutely no experience, but I've stopped freaking out about it at this point, so that's good.

After all the workshops (the CIR ones we had about how to answer phone calls and answer business emails were super helpful!), I felt like I was going to just fall asleep on my feet, thanks to jet-lag and a long day. After eating a little at our welcome reception, though, I'm feeling energetic enough to go out for karaoke with the JETs from my prefecture. I'm also currently watching Japanese TV for the first time in two years - I'd forgotten how much I love it! I'm watching a show called Q-sama, which my host mom and I used to watch together, and I even remember a lot of the faces. Good times. :)

Tomorrow we have our last day of orientation, including my PA training and a lot more CIR workshops. Hopefully by then I'll have adjusted and be a little less jet-lagged!

1 comment:

  1. Woah! That is the fastest I've ever heard of anyone getting promoted.

    ReplyDelete