Sunday, August 12, 2012

about the office

(August 10)
Well, it's the beginning of another weekend! It has been another quiet week, but since this is basically my real life for the next year (as opposed to a semester-long study abroad or a short vacation), that's probably going to be the norm. Or at least until I meet some more people or find some things to participate in.

Anyway, the most eventful thing that happened this week was my welcome party, but before that I'll talk a little about my office first! We are the International Relations Section of Chiba City, under the Office of the Mayor. There are eight of us all together; three men and five women. There's the section manager, who we all call 'kachou' (section manager), the supervisor Hirata-san (who I've mentioned a bunch), my supervisor Satou-san, and then Kitamura-san (F), Kurashige-san (M), Kondou-san (F), and a Chinese lady named Aoi-san. We all work together in one room, with Kachou and Hirata-san at the front and the rest of us in a block in the middle. Instead of having individual cubicles, our desks are all pushed together, and I sit in between Kondou-san and Satou-san.

Everybody but Kitamura-san (who had to take care of her kids) came to my welcome party, which was really just all of us eating dinner and drinking together at a restaurant. The director of the office of the mayor was there too, which surprised me a little. It was also an 'otsukare-sama party' (probably not a real term) for Gina, who had been working at the international relations section for 4 months but moved back to the international association when I got here. There was yummy food and unlimited drinks (for 2.5 hours), and I had a good time talking with everybody! It was nice to spend time just chatting, although because of the way the table was set up I really only talked to half of them. Anyway, I've heard that this sort of gathering with the office happens pretty regularly in Japan, so I'm looking forward to the next time!

Other than that things have been pretty unremarkable – I've started some new translation projects at work and bought some more things for my apartment. Today I walked around past the supermarket to see what else is in the area, which is really nothing – it's mostly just apartment complexes. But tomorrow I plan to go downtown to look at cell phones (though I don't think I can get one until I have my resident card, which could take a while) and explore a little, like I meant to last weekend, so that should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment