Sunday, August 12, 2012

end of week one

(August 1)
Well, the past few days have certainly been crazy! Right now it's Friday evening at the end of my first (half) week of work, and although I don't have internet and honestly won't have it for the foreseeable future, I figured that I can still write blog posts and just post them later! This will probably result in a huge chunk of posts all at once, so sorry in advance, but feel free to skip through them all if you get bored. (To be honest I'm not even sure anybody is reading this, so whatever! :D)

I forget now where I left off, but on Wednesday morning, all the JETs left Tokyo for our respective destinations. In case you've forgotten, mine was Chiba City! I got on a bus with the other Chiba prefecture JETs and rode for about an hour before reaching our destination. When we got there, we had a short introduction ceremony. We were all pretty nervous, I think, and it was also kind of awkward – we were sitting facing representatives of our destinations and then they called us up one at a time to meet our contracting organizations. I had actually already met my supervisor (he greeted us all at Tokyo Orientation), so it was probably a little less nerve-wracking for me than everybody else. I heard him telling our co-worker who came to get us from the ceremony what the ceremony was like and they both thought it was weird, so I guess that's not normally how those ceremonies go.

After the ceremony, we drove to City Hall to meet my office! Or rather, the Chiba City Community Center, which is where my department actually works. I actually didn't know that I was going to meet the department right away and thought that we were going there to get my resident card, so that was kind of a surprise! Everybody in the office is very nice – I'll devote some space in another post to talk about them more in detail later.

I spent some time getting settled in the office and went out to lunch with my supervisor, his supervisor, the boss, and Gina, another CIR (though not JET) who had been working in my office for the past 4 months before I came. After that, I went and met the director of operations for the mayor's office (or something like that; an important person whose name and title I don't remember -.-')and applied for a resident card and bank account before leaving to see my apartment!

My apartment has two rooms, a kitchen, and a separate toilet and bathtub. It's not very big but plenty big enough for me; I was preparing myself for a really tiny one-room place so I was pleasantly surprised! The two rooms have tatami mats and sliding doors, which honestly I have no idea how to take care of, but I'm sure once I get internet in my apartment I can find something that'll tell me all about it. I sleep on a futon, which I have to put away every morning (for the sake of the futon, the mats, and the space) – it's kind of a pain but it's comfortable enough and I've been sleeping like a baby on it every night. :)

My supervisor and the department supervisor, Hirata-san, had already prepared a lot for me in the apartment, like setting up the fridge//microwave/TV and bringing towels, dishes, etc for me to use – which I'm extremely grateful for, as it has helped a lot! - but after waiting for the air conditioning guy to finish setting up my A/C unit, we went out shopping. I definitely still need to go shopping soon (I'm actually planning to go this weekend), but we managed to get a lot of stuff. After that we had dinner around 9 - I felt bad for making the two of them wait until then, especially since Hirata-san said all she'd eaten that day was lunch, but Satou-san (my supervisor) said that he often worked until this late anyway. Of course when I remembered that he lives in Tokyo and had an hour commute home afterward I felt even worse, but they were both really nice about it.

So that was my first day! My second day was also pretty busy, but maybe I'll go into less detail since this already turning into a pretty long post.

I started out by taking the bus to work, which made me a little nervous but was totally fine. It helps that I'd taken the bus every day when I was studying abroad in Nagoya and that Satou-san had explained what I should do the day before. At work I met with Gina, who explained the kind of things I would have to do, like interpreting at courtesy visits (when people from our sister cities, dignitaries, etc come to pay their respects to the mayor). To be honest I was pretty intimidated because it sounds pretty hard and intense (and still does), but I found out that I'll get the chance to observe at least one before I'm expected to do any on my own. After that I started to work on my first assignment (which I had gotten the day before!) before going to meet the mayor of Chiba City. I was a little nervous, which also then makes me stumble when saying my self-introduction, but it was over pretty quickly and now at least I can say I've met the mayor! After that I went with Satou-san to run some more errands before finishing my second day of work. Then I took the bus home and unpacked a little before going to bed early (I'm still not over jet lag).

Today I kept working on my translation before leaving with Satou-san and the section manager to meet the people at the Chiba City International Association, who we work with a lot. It's actually where my predecessor started out working, and where Gina works now. The people there seem very friendly too, and we stayed and chatted a little before heading back. We rode the monorail there, which I found pretty exciting. Chiba City actually has the longest hanging monorail in the world (it's in the Guinness Book of World Records and everything!), which is pretty cool. I was a little bit disappointed when I found out that Chiba City doesn't have a subway system (because I love riding the subway) – or a city bus system, for that matter, though there are private bus companies that do the same thing - , but I think the monorail makes up for it! It's not underground and is in fact pretty high up in the air, so there is pretty much always a really great view.

On the way back, the section manager (aka the boss) asked if I'd been to Chiba's Port Tower, and since I hadn't, suggested that we go see it. I was a little surprised, since it was still during the workday, but I wouldn't have known how to politely decline anyway so I just agreed. The Port Tower is, as it might sound like, a very tall tower near the harbor. It was really an amazing view - I could even see Tokyo and Yokohama in the distance, including the brand new (and very tall) Tokyo Sky Tree.

The past few days I've mostly just been staying at home after work and just watching TV and trying to read through the giant stack of things I should be reading (maps, information about Chiba/moving in, JET stuff, etc) and not really unpacking, but since tomorrow is the weekend I'm planning to actually get out and explore some! I don't have a knife or cutting board (or counter to prepare food on) so I haven't been able to cook yet, but hopefully I'll acquire those and maybe even a bike in the next two days. At the very least I think I should figure out the way to the supermarket (although today I discovered there's a mini one at the station near my work).

I'm also going to a fireworks display tomorrow with Hirata-san and Gina, which I'm very excited for! Japanese fireworks are pretty awesome, so it should be a good show, even though it's also probably going to be very very crowded and hot.

Anyway, I'm excited to get out and explore this weekend! Hopefully soon I'll be over jet-lag and unpacked (right now all my clothes are still in suitcases) and more settled in – it's hard to believe it's only been three days since I got here!

No comments:

Post a Comment