Thursday, November 1, 2012

happy halloween!

Whoops, it's been a while since my last post. Since then I have passed the three-month mark for being in Japan and now I'm actually preparing to welcome my family for their two-week visit here, starting tomorrow! So things are a little crazy and this post will probably just be a brief summary of stuff I've been up to, even though I may not get a chance to blog for a while after once everybody arrives. (Also the first thing I thought after typing that was 'ご了承ください', which is a super polite semi-apologetic way to inform people of or ask them to understand something and I think is a side-effect of all the formal things I've been translating for work!)

Anyway, so last Wednesday I went to a salsa lesson at Ocean Deep, which was tons of fun. The lesson itself was very basic, but there was free dancing after that and even though I don't actually know much salsa, since I've done lots of other Latin dance it was pretty easy to follow. I got to dance quite a bit and met some new people, so I definitely want to go again! I feel like Wednesday nights may just become dance nights for me, since salsa dancing happens there every week and Tokyo Swing Night is every other week, and both are so much fun. :D

Then on Friday I went out drinking with my supervisor, Satou-san! We went to a little Mexican place in Tsudanuma (which I hadn't been to before) that was very yummy and just spent the evening drinking and chatting. It was super fun and I learned lots of new things about him (like how he reads this blog, haha - よろしくお願いします~), which is always great. :)

The next day I got up and went to Tokyo to watch the All Japan Ultimate Championships with my frisbee team! We watched the women's and open (essentially men's) finals, both of which were some pretty amazing matches. The women's game was really close the whole time (they just kept trading points), and then the men's ended up with the championship team winning for the 14th year in a row! It was pretty cool. And then after that we went out to eat monjayaki, which I'd never had before and is another kind of cook-on-the-table meal (there just isn't a good word for 鉄板料理 in English, is there) like okonomiyaki, except much more liquid (which sounds weird but it is tasty!). First we spent some time in a park tossing frisbees around, partly because watching good frisbee matches makes you want to play and partly because apparently people always do something to work up an appetite before eating monjayaki. Anyway, the food was very tasty and I enjoyed meeting some players from Return, another team that we do a lot with, so I would say my first monjayaki experience was a great success!

Sunday was spent buying some more stuff in preparation for the upcoming family visit, and then on Monday I went out for dinner with some other JETs, even though I probably should have just gone home and kept making travel plans, haha. But I hadn't seen one of them for a while and I had a really good time, so no regrets!

And the past couple of days have just been a rush of trying to get ready for my guests! Can't believe that I'll be picking my parents up tomorrow - these next two weeks are going to be crazy and exciting! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment