Tuesday, December 11, 2012

peanuts

So last Wednesday I went to salsa night at Ocean Deep again, for the first time in a while, and again, it was a blast! My friend James came along this time and we had a lot of fun dancing - we even tried bachata once, which is surprisingly hard (even though all we did was the basic, haha).

On Friday I had to stay late at work, but after that I met up with Cory for dinner. We were planning to go to an all-you-can-eat pizza place, but the trains were super delayed due to the earthquake (which was probably the biggest one I've felt since I got here!) so we just had dinner at an Indian restaurant near his apartment before playing Lego Harry Potter, which was pretty great. It took me about three times as long as normal to get home, though, since trains were still delayed - you'd think I'd have learned not to take trains once there's been a delay, but apparently not, haha. -.-'

And then on Sunday I played in my first frisbee tournament (called Peanuts!) in Japan, which was super fun! Our team was the one that organized it and it was in Port Park, where we have Saturday practices, so I got up early to help set up the field. The teams in the tournament were all from the area - mostly college teams, actually - and every team came in costume! There were Santas, rainbow afros, scientists (and Pikachu!), martial artists, suits, chickens, and frogs (my team!) - it was great because it reminded me of the Hallowinona tournament I played in back at Carleton, and clearly everybody was just there to have fun and play frisbee. My favorite costume by far was our captain's, though - in the middle of one of our games he came out in a Christmas tree costume and played in it, even though he couldn't run in it at all. So great.

Some Santas, chickens, and frogs!

After every game both teams had to do some sort of cheer or activity, which was also super fun. My team did competitions: one where everybody had wooden skewers in their mouths and had to transfer a candy from one person to another without using our hands, and one where we raced around a marker in pairs with a frisbee between our butts. Other highlights include an ultimate frisbee version of the atarimae-taisou by CowCow (look them up on YouTube), Ya (which is the exact same icebreaker as Wah) with a penalty of getting your face drawn on if you messed up, and some impressive backflip demonstrations.
Vortex: chickens and frogs for a day!

The tournament lasted all day (though each game was only 30 minutes) through intense wind and we only won one game, but we did win one game and ended up in 4th place! I didn't score any goals, even though if I had it would have been worth 2 points for being a girl, but I at least managed to get the disc (only once, haha) and laid out for a disc in the endzone (but didn't catch it), which is good enough for me! Hopefully there will be lots more tournaments to go to in the future, because this one was tons of fun. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment